Not what I had hoped for

Lilac Girls - Martha Hall Kelly

I had high hopes for this book but was very disappointed in the execution. It's told from the points of view of three women experiencing WWII from very different stations. Two of the women were dealing with the rise of Nazism and concentration camps in Eastern Europe while the other was a spoiled socialite primarily concerned with how she's treated by her peers, her married, would-be boyfriend, and the situation in France. It isn't until the second half of the book that these two things finally begin to come together which left me feeling frustrated and disliking the American woman quite a lot.

Overall, I thought that the book tried to be too many things. The author seems to have wanted to write a biography of Caroline Ferriday and a fictional account of what it was like to be a political prisoner in a concentration camp and give insight into how a doctor could do the things that were done to the Ravensbruck Rabbits. The result, for me, was that none of those things were done well enough to make it an enjoyable read.

Anyone interested in reading a book featuring engaging characters in Ravensbruck should check out Elizabeth Wein's Rose Under Fire instead.

I was provided with an ebook ARC from the publisher through NetGalley but bought the audiobook and listened to that instead.